Writ of Execution Defense

Judgment Defense Attorney

With a Writ of Execution, a Judgment creditor can send a sheriff or constable to your home or business in order for them to sell any non-exempt property that you own.  The sheriff is bound by court order to sell property.

 What is Exempt?

The most important question is typically what is exempt.  Most of the property that you own is exempt.  The common types of property sold by a sheriff include:

1) Vacation homes
2) Rental properties
3) Boats
4) Excess Personal Property

Notice from the Sheriff

Before they come to your house, they will usually send you a written notice informing you about the judgment.  The notice will likely tell you to pay the full balance of the judgment or they will execute the writ of execution.  If you have non-exempt property then this is a very serious situation.

Stopping the Writ of Execution

The most effective way to stop a writ of execution is to ask the Judgment Creditor to stop it.  The sheriff will often back off if the parties are working to resolve the judgment.  We have plenty of experience in settling judgments.  Another sure fire way to stop a writ of execution is to file for Bankruptcy.

If you have been served with a writ of execution, contact us today.

Free Consultation

Related Links